Untiled Faces is an interactive sculpture that mixes a chaotic dynamical system with its “meta” representation, allowing the viewer to explore the somewhat unpredictable four-dimensional parameter space by moving a series of levers.
This work builds off both my Aesthetic Explorations and my Faces of Chaos series. With the former, I am exploring individual strange attractors—each image encodes four specific parameters. With the latter, I am exploring the space of all possibilities, and each image encodes a range of parameters in a “meta” view of the system.
The left-most pane of Untiled Faces shows a small representation of another artwork, Tiled Faces, with a small red square over one image of this 32×32 grid. As the left lever is moved, the red square moves, updating the x and y position, and simultaneously updating both the center and right-most panes.
The right pane shows the image from the left pane, zoomed in. The right-most lever moves a small red target within this image, updating another x and y position, and simultaneously updating the center pane.
The center pane shows a chaotic attractor, whose four coefficients are taken from the positions of the left and right levers. The center lever adjusts the virtual camera that is viewing this strange attractor.
Thus, all three images are linked, and in a somewhat mysterious way, show the relationship between a strange attractor and its Lyapunov exponent.
- Repurposed and partially dissected Dell Precision M50 laptop, circa 2003
- Arduino Uno SMD version from Adafruit
- 3 RJ45 8-pin connectors and breakout boards from Sparkfun
- 3 arcade joysticks from Sparkfun
- Ethernet patch cable and plugs
- 3/4″ hardwood plywood
- 1/4″ luan plywood
- Screws, washers, and angle brackets
- Case fan soldered to USB cable
- Panel mount AC receptacle soldered to laptop power supply
- http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=101268 (click)
- http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=38484 (static)
- http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=3638 (bleeps)
- http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=34141 (atmosphere)
Thanks to Mark Stock for some extra brain power and soldering help towards the end of this project!